When someone asks you the question, "How are you?" what is your response?
I'm fine, thank you. How are you?
I'm good.
Hangin' in there.
Groovy.
Or maybe a quick nod with a smile?
I've responded with all of the above at various times.
Do we ask these questions because it's polite and because we have been preconditioned to do so? Is the person asking me how I am REALLY interested in how I am? Do they REALLY care? Are they REALLY listening to my response?
Recently I greeted a woman who walked into my place of employement with a "Hello, how are you"? Her response took me completely off guard and has stayed with me and been on my mind for weeks.
She was not dressed in rags or in riches. I have never seen her before or since but her response made a lasting impression on me.
I don't know why it struck a chord with me. It was such a simple response. A grateful response. A meaningful response. A response that literally stopped me in my tracks and flustered me.
Why?
Because so often we ask questions out of habit and don't really listen to the response. Many times we respond to everyday questions with rehearsed and automatic answers we don't really think about or pay much attention to.
Her response told me a lot about her. From that moment on I chose not to respond to everyday questions with a meaningless answer but to follow in her footsteps and respond in a meaningful way. Not a two minute dissertation on how my day is going but a response that will let the person who asked me know that I heard them and I appreciate them asking.
Her response to my question, "How are you"?
"I am blessed, thank you".
My response to her response.........?
And so am I.
No comments:
Post a Comment